What is ECTN (Electronic Cargo Tracking Note)?
The ECTN Certificate, or Electronic Cargo Tracking Note, is a mandatory document for shipping goods to several African countries. It contains detailed information about the shipment, enabling the clearence of the cargo by the authorities with an ECTN number for easy tracking.
This certificate is also key in watching over and managing how cargo is moved. It gives authorities quick and clear details about what the cargo is, how much it’s worth, and where it’s going. Because of this, it helps a lot in stopping illegal activities like fraud, under-reporting the value of goods, and smuggling. It ensures that there is accurate record-keeping and the right taxes are paid for everything that comes into these countries.
How to Get ECTN Certificate?
7 Easy Steps to Get the ECTN:
- Gather Documents: Commercial invoice, bill of lading, freight invoice.
- Choose Agent: Select an authorized agent.
- Submit Documents: Provide documents to the agent.
- Verification: Agent verifies cargo details.
- Pay Fees: Remit necessary fees.
- Certificate Issuance: Receive the ECTN, complete with its unique ECTN number, from the agent.
- Attach to Shipment: Secure ECTN with shipment documentation.
Always check for any specific requirements that might vary by country.
What does the ECTN Certificate Look Like?
The design, layout, language, and details included in an ECTN certificate are unique to each country. For example, an ECTN from the Central African Republic will have noticeable differences compared to one from Togo. To illustrate, here is a sample ECTN issued for Congo.
Consequences of Not Having an ECTN Certificate
When you don’t have an ECTN (Electronic Cargo Tracking Note) Certificate, it leads to several serious problems. First, your shipment might not even be allowed to leave the port of origin.
If somehow your shipment does leave without an ECTN number, you’ll face more trouble when it arrives at its destination. The port authorities there will likely hold your cargo. This delay can be long and costly. You’ll have to pay storage fees for each day your cargo stays at the port. Plus, there might be heavy fines for not following the import regulations, which include having an ECTN number.
In some cases, your cargo could even be confiscated or returned to the port of origin. This would mean a huge loss of time and money. So, not having an ECTN can be a big risk to your business and its reputation.
Requirements by Country
This section gives a clear list of countries where an Electronic Cargo Tracking Note is needed. Each country has its own rules, and we’ve gathered them here to make your shipping process smoother. You’ll find easy-to-understand details that will help you stay compliant and avoid any shipping delays.
- Algeria – ECTN
- Angola – CNCA / ARCCLA
- Benin – BESC
- Burkina Faso – ECTN/URN
- Burundi – ECTN
- Cameroon – BESC
- Central African Republic – ECTN
- Democratic Republic of Congo – COD Document
- Djibouti – ECTN
- Democratic Republic of Congo – FERI
- Egypt – ACID
- Equatorial Guinea – ECTN
- Gabon – BIETC
- The Gambia – CTN
- Ghana – ECTN/SPN
- Guinea Bissau – CEE
- Guinea Conakry – ECTN
- Ivory Coast – BSC
- Liberia – CTN
- Libya – ECTN
- Madagascar – BSC
- Mali – BSC
- Niger – BSC
- Nigeria – ICTN
- Chad – ECTN
- Republic of the Congo – ECTN
- Senegal – BSC
- Sierra Leone – BSC
- Somalia – ECTN
- South Sudan – ECTN
- Togo – ECTN
Who Will Issue the ECTN?
The issuance of the Electronic Cargo Tracking Note (ECTN) is a crucial step in international shipping, and it is typically handled by agencies authorized by the destination country. These agencies are entrusted with the responsibility of ensuring that all shipments comply with the necessary regulations and standards.
Key aspects of their role include:
- Authorization: These agencies are officially recognized and have the authority to issue the ECTN, which is a mandatory requirement for customs clearance in many countries.
- Expertise: Handling ECTN applications demands a high level of expertise to ensure accuracy and compliance with international shipping regulations.
- Knowledge: A comprehensive understanding of country-specific requirements is essential to ensure that all shipments adhere to the relevant regulations and standards.
- Guidance: They offer guidance throughout the application process, assisting clients in navigating the complexities of international shipping documentation and compliance.
For your ECTN requirements, you can rely on us at GetCTN. As an authorized agency, we specialize in the issuance of ECTNs, ensuring that your shipping process is seamless and compliant with all necessary regulations. Our expertise and dedicated support streamline the ECTN application process, making us a trusted choice for your international shipping needs.