BSC is a mandatory document for all ports in Madagascar
We also have many exporters regularly obtaining CTN and BSC for Madagascar from us. Our exceptional team is ready to support exporters and freight forwarders in United States 24/7. Contact us now for a Free Consultation.
What is BSC?
BSC is a mandatory loading document for all shipments to Madagascar. It is required for Tamatave, Toamasina or any other port.
It is also known as CTN. It was determined as a regulation in 2007 by the Madagascar Customs Officials. Failing to present the BSC document will lead to severe consequences and a hefty fine.
According to this law, every cargo purchased from abroad and transported for commercial, business, in some cases, diplomatic and personal purposes requires a Loading Certificate called BSC – Bordereau de Suivi des Cargaisons.
The shipper or the freight forwarder is responsible for acquiring the BSC waiver certificate from the authorized representative.
- Transport Document – Draft Bill of Lading or Air-Waybill copy can be used for the draft.
- Commercial Invoice – HS code, country of origin, packaging type, amount of units and unit price have to be mentioned for each item. Also, the incoterm has to be mentioned.
- Customs Declaration – Details have to match with all documents if it is not cross-trade.
- Packing List – Reference of the doc, the date, the number of containers, the container numbers and the container type have to be mentioned.
- To monitor all shipment volumes into the country, on March 23rd, 2007 n°01/MFB/SG/DGD, the Office Marine Customs for Madagascar introduced a Bordereau de Suivi de Cargaison (BSC) – a cargo tracking note. The BSC is mandatory for every shipment into the country, and cargo can not be delivered without this certificate.According to Madagascar Customs regulations, all cargo to Madagascar must be accompanied by a BSC certificate.
- Madagascar BSC must be acquired by the shipper or the freight forwarder at least 3 days before the submission of the declaration.
- Customs Declaration amendments are subject to a fine of $2500 per Bill of Lading. This amount will be debited to the agency that requests the correction. If you fail to submit the BSC, your cargo won’t be cleared and will be returned to the origin.
- The exporter or the forwarder agents have to submit a BSC certificate 5 days before the vessel arrives in Madagascar Customs territory
FAQs related to Madagascar BSC Certificate
Yes, we will need the Tax Registration certificate of your company to create BSC Madagascar ID.
No, Unfortunately, once validated, the BSC certificate to Madagascar cannot be revised in any way. You will need to explain the reason for the change at the destination customs.
No, BSC is unique and reserved only for one shipment. Every shipment must have a validated BSC number.
It is not mandatory to get a CTN certificate for shipments with values below 100 EUR to Madagascar.
No. The Madagascar BSC certificate number is not required to show on the Bill of Lading.
No. To issue a BSC certificate for a shipment in Madagascar, we must have BL with a discharge port in Madagascar. Please get this amended if the shipping line issued a BL with a discharge port outside of Madagascar.
You need to provide the switch BL, which shows the discharge port in Madagascar. Assume your shipment departs from China to Madagascar, but BL has a discharge port showing Port Louis, but the final destination is Madagascar. The certificate can be created using the details of this BL. However, it will not be enough to validate the BSC. Additionally, we need the BL covering transport from Port Louis to any port in Madagascar.
Authorities of only Madagascar and Cameroon require a BSC certificate from shippers. Unlike, in Cameroon, shippers to Madagascar need to apply for BSC before the Air-shipment arrives at the destination.
GetCTN is an independent consulting firm that helps clients obtain CTN certificates in many African countries. It is an international company with offices in the USA, UK, and UAE, and its sole business is CTN certification; it is not a freight forwarder, importer, or exporter.
The hard copy of the certificate isn’t necessary at all. Instead, the whole process is completed online.
A bill of lading (BL or BoL) is a legal document issued by a carrier to a shipper that details the type, quantity, and destination of the goods being carried.
A commercial invoice is a required document for the export and import clearance process. It is sometimes used for foreign exchange purposes. In the buyer’s country, it is the document their customs officials use to assess import duties and taxes.