Somalia CTN (Cargo Tracking Note) is a mandatory document for all ports in Somalia
We have many exporters who regularly obtain CTN for Somalia from us. Our exceptional team is ready to support exporters and freight forwarders in United States 24/7. Contact us now for a free consultation.
What is CTN for Somalia?
CTN is a mandatory loading certificate for all sea shipments to Somalia ports. It is required for Mogadishu, Berbera, Bossaso or any other port. You might also know it as ECTN ( Electronic Cargo Tracking Note), introduced as a regulation in 2023 by the Ministry of Ports and Marine Transport of Somalia. Failing to present the CTN document will lead to severe consequences and a hefty fine.
As of April 29th, 2023, all transactions involving goods from or to Somalia must include an ECTN Reference Number on the bill of lading.
Contact us for more guidance and learn how to move forward with the new CTN application.
According to this law, every cargo purchased from abroad and transported for commercial, business, in some cases, diplomatic and personal purposes require a Loading Certificate called CTN.
The shipper, exporter or the freight forwarder is responsible for acquiring the CTN waiver certificate from the authorized representative.
- Bill of Lading – A draft copy can be used for the draft.
- Commercial Invoice
- Freight Invoice – It is necessary if the freight cost isn’t on the commercial invoice.
- According to Ministry of Ports and Marine Transport, all cargo to Somalia must be accompanied by a CTN certificate.
- The CTN certificate must be validated five days before the vessel arrives at the latest.
- The cargo can’t be cleared if the hard copy of the valid CTN certificate is not provided at the Somalian port.
- Shipments that arrive without CTN or with false information on the CTN get charged twice the certificate cost plus the regulation charge determined by the Somali Government.
FAQs related to Somali CTN Certificate
Basically, the Electronic Cargo Tracking Note (ECTN) and the Cargo Tracking Note (CTN) are the same document with different names.
It depends on the country it has been loaded from. In certain cases, we can amend the certificate.
No, CTN is unique and reserved only for one shipment. Every shipment must have a validated CTN number.
GetCTN is an independent consulting firm that helps clients obtain CTN certificates in many African countries. It is an international company with offices in the USA, UK, and UAE, and its sole business is CTN certification; it is not a freight forwarder, importer, or exporter.
The hard copy of the certificate isn’t necessary at all. Instead, the whole process is completed online.
A bill of lading (BL or BoL) is a legal document issued by a carrier to a shipper that details the type, quantity, and destination of the goods being carried.
A commercial invoice is a required document for the export and import clearance process. It is sometimes used for foreign exchange purposes. In the buyer’s country, it is the document their customs officials use to assess import duties and taxes.